Friday, September 4, 2009

New York Subway: Reading Section

"Welcome to the Reading Section of the NY Subway! Hope you don't mind the isolation! It's very popular for IT Nerds, Geeks and Freaks!"
THE middle-aged woman with the black cardigan around her shoulders had assumed a balanced and meticulously calibrated posture: feet shoulder-width apart, arms slightly bent, fists loosely clenched, muscles relaxed yet alert. Like a crouching tiger coiled to spring.

She was not preparing for a Tae-Kwon-Doh! bout, but 'assuming the position' and performing her personal version of the daily underground battle that is engaged by millions of New Yorkers: reading, intently, on a sardine-can D train hurtling swiftly toward Brooklyn in the evening rush. Without holding on (physically, not mentally).

“I am a New Yorker,” the woman barked, as if those five well spat words explained everything. “I can do anything on the subway and I do.” 'Excuse me! I think this is where I get off now!' I said, holding on very tightly, mentally!

No comments: