Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Mixed Marriages at Sea: Amorous Dolphin finds Mermaid irresistable

A swimmer was rescued exhausted and freezing after a playful dolphin refused to let her return to the shore.

The woman was clinging to a small buoy being circled by the creature, which has become a local celebrity since taking up residence at the beach in New Zealand more than two years ago.

Nicknamed Moko, the dolphin regularly seeks out swimmers and people in boats to play with at Mahia on North Island.

Moko, whose fame has grown with the saving of two stranded whales, plays with a swimmer at Waikokopu Bay. Unlike normal lifeguards, the dolphin swam to shore and dragged the whales out into deeper water.

The distressed mermaid said, 'I've spent quite a bit of time swimming with Moko and I'm a strong swimmer, so I wasn't worried at first,' said the swimmer, who did not want to be named. Perhaps her boyfriend is the jealous type.

'I went out by myself quite late at 4.30pm, which probably wasn’t the wisest thing to do. I was wearing a wetsuit but when I wanted to go back, he just wanted to keep playing. Well, we can all understand that feeling. Once your girlfriend is all wet and slippery, the night has just begun.

'I became exhausted and started to panic. I was out in the ocean with a wild animal and no people around.' One woman's nightmare is another's fantasy. 'I told him we came from different worlds, and it could never work between us but he just kept spinning on is tail and leaping out of the water,

People on the beach heard her screaming, this only seemed to excite the dolphin more and it squealed back at her. Eventually the other bathers realised she was not having that much fun and rowed out to fetch her.

The dolphin is now undergoing therapy and is continuing to sulk. The ocean has grown just a little more bitter for him but I am sure the tide of true love will turn again.

No comments: